Monday, January 17, 2011

Getting back into the swing of things

After months of revision, edits and two proofreadings of my novel, I wondered if I could get back to actual writing--on something new--after sending Cassidy's War off to my editor.

I did do a little bit of writing during that time, however, on a short story I also submitted just last week. But mostly, I've been immersed in working on an already written novel.

So, after sending off my manuscript, I wrote down six new ideas for short stories--my second writing goal for the new year. The following day, I picked one idea, came up with a title for the story, then made notes. I took the weekend off and was wondering if I could get right back into writing new words for a brand new story.

I'm pleased that once I set up the file, the words for this new story flowed and I wrote 1043 words today. I hope to pick up where I stopped off tomorrow and tack on another 1000 words.

This is the reason why I don't stop writing between projects. I firmly believe taking that break hurts my creativity. A day or two is fine, but no longer.
  

2 comments:

Isabel Roman said...

Hey, that's great, Susan! I'm particuarly impressed you come up with titles before you start to write. I always hope an editor will come up with something better.

Good luck on your short stories!

Susan Macatee said...

Thanks, Isabel!

I hate coming up with book or story titles, but I've found if I can quickly find one I like at the beginning of a project, I usually stick with it. I've only had one title changed by an editor on short story and that was a subtle change. I'd titled the story "Summer Lovin'" and they changed it to "Summer Love".