Monday, June 27, 2011

Want to show off my brand new cover!



Here's the official book cover for my upcoming American Victorian romance, Cassidy's War, set five years after the Civil War. This will be my third novel with The Wild Rose Press and my seventh release with them overall. How do you like it?

Blurb:

The Civil War is over, but Cassidy’s War is just beginning.

Cassidy Stuart longs to attend medical school. Her training under her physician father and her time serving as a nurse during the war, have only increased her desire to be a real physician with a practice of her own. When the man who’d left her at the altar five years before, returns, she’s determined not to let him upset the plans she’s set for herself.

Unknown to his former fiancĂ©e and her family, George Masters is now a Pinkerton agent sent to investigate a physician now living in George’s former hometown. When he finds Cassidy hasn’t married, he hopes he can have another chance with her, but can’t reveal his real reason for returning, at least not until his mission is accomplished.


Can love be rekindled with a doctor bent on revenge against them both?

Unedited excerpt:

After settling her on the wicker settee, he sat beside her, enveloping her hand and rubbing it between his large, warm ones. His sandalwood and male scent invited her to lean into his warmth, but she held herself rigid, her emotions on guard.

She had so many questions she wanted answered, like where he’d been all these years and how he made his living.

“Cassie, I know you must hate me for leaving you.”

She narrowed her gaze. “It’s hard to think kindly on someone who leaves you, no matter what the reason. I know you were hurting, but we could have made a life together. Healed each other.”

He shook his head. “I would’ve held you back.”

“From what?”

“Well...you’re a doctor. That was your dream when I returned from prison camp.”

“And look what a fine mess I’ve made of that.” She bowed her head, studying his hand wrapped around hers. His warm touch sent tingles straight to her core. But what was he doing here? Did he really come back for her, or had something or someone else drawn him to Burkeville?

“George, what’s the real reason you’re here?” She held her breath, hoping for the answer she wanted to hear.

He withdrew his hand from hers, taking his warmth with it. “I thought I should come back and check on Pa.” His dark gaze settled on her. “I didn’t reckon you’d ever want to see me again, especially after the disaster I made of my life—and yours.”

She leaned back. “George, you’re wearing fine clothing, telling us about your adventures in New York and California.” She shook her head. “Doesn’t sound to me like your life’s a mess.”

He chewed his lower lip. “I haven’t told you all of it. After I left you, I wandered for a long time. I’m not really clear on all of it, because half the time I was so drunk I didn’t know who or where I was.”

Cassidy stood. “Well, I have to say, you look none the worse for wear after all you’ve been through.”

“Cassie, I...” George grinned, lifting his thumbs to the lapels of his coat. “I always had a knack for poker. Cleaned out many fellow soldiers during the war.”

“Are you telling me you’re a professional gambler?”

He grimaced, dropping his gaze. “I’m not the type of man a physician should associate with. To tell the truth, I figured you’d already forgotten me. I expected to find you with a husband and children by now.”

“There’s no one else, George, if that’s what you’re getting at. Since you left, I haven’t exactly had a slew of suitors at my door.” She eyed him, not sure why she’d told him.


I don't yet have a release date for Cassidy's War, but you can find my other books complete with excerpts and blurbs at my website: www.susanmacatee.com

16 comments:

Jannine Gallant said...

The cover is gorgeous - great mood to it! Sounds like a wonderful book. Congratulations!

Isabel Roman said...

I do love that cover!

Kathleen Bittner Roth said...

What a beautiful cover. congratulations!

Susan Macatee said...

Thanks, everyone! I'm still working through second edits, but will be sure to let everyone know when I get a release date.

Sarah Grimm said...

Gorgeous cover, Susan!

Susan Macatee said...

Thanks, Sarah!

Sue Palmer Fineman said...

This sounds like a great story.

Lilly Gayle said...

Congrats on the contract. And I adore the cover!

Susan Macatee said...

Thanks, Sue and Lilly!

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Ssuan. The cover gods were smiling on you for that one - come to think of it, all your covers are lovely and eye catching.

Susan Macatee said...

Thanks, Paisley! I agree. Couldn't have asked for a better book cover!

Cynthia Owens said...

Gorgeous cover, Susan, and an intriguing excerpt! Congratulations, and best of luck with the new release!

Susan Macatee said...

Thanks, Cynthia! I'm right on track with the second edits. Have to get them in by July 6th, then wait on my editor for the third round.

Margaret West said...

Love cover and excerpt. well done.

Ilona Fridl said...

Susan,

Sounds like another great novel from you. Best of luck with it!

Susan Macatee said...

Thanks so much, Margaret and Ilona! I was beyond thrilled to see this cover. It fits the story and character perfectly.