Sunday, March 15, 2009

Working On Something New Again

I've completed the first draft of my science fiction romance, Moons of Cynara, and put it aside for awhile, so I can come back to revise with a fresh eye.

In the meantime, I thought I'd start preliminary work on a brand new romance novel. This one will be a sequel to a young adult Civil War novel I had published years ago. I recently got the rights back and it's now out of print. But I loved those characters and want to write a brand new story that takes place around 1870. The characters will be older, so this one won't be YA, but a straight historical romance, set during the Victorian era.

So far, I've done character and setting sketches, made a list of things I need to research and have started on a rudimentary plot outline. It's fun working on a brand new story. My plan is to get as much work done on it as I can this month, then go back to Moons and start on the revision. When I'm done with Moons, I'll have my new story at least partially plotted out and can get to the first draft that much sooner.

4 comments:

Isabel Roman said...

That sounds great, Susan. Personally, I can't wait to read the scifi one. I haven't read your YA story; are you going to republish it? Or just go with the sequel?

Susan Macatee said...

Thanks, Isabel! I thought about revising and trying to republish the original, but the task just seemed too daunting. I decided I'd rather start out fresh. Although I'll be using the same characters, they'll be older and this will be an entirely new story, although I may use some occasional flashbacks from the original story.

Nicole McCaffrey said...

Sounds like a great story idea, Susan! And it would be great to revisit characters you already know and love and give them a new story.

Good luck with it!

Susan Macatee said...

Thanks, Nic! It does make working on character sketches a whole lot easier, since I'm already familiar with these characters as well as the general setting. I'm just rejoining them five years in their future.