Saturday, October 17, 2009

Revisioning

With so many new releases out in a short space of time, I've been spending a great deal of my writing time on book promotion.

But I need to take some time to actually work on writing, otherwise, I'll have nothing new to promote in the future.

I did recently submit a short story to a magazine, but now have to wait to see if they're interested. I also wrote two full-length manuscripts that I have to revise.

The first one is my first science fiction romance that I'm calling Moons of Cynara. Don't know if that title will stick, but for now, I'm going with it. I recently reread that manuscript and I do have to add at least 7000 words to get it up to my planned minumum word count of 80,000 words. So, I'm trying to see what I can add to flesh out the story. I may also change some of the basic story to enhance the original plot. I actually feel this part of the process is just as creative as writing the first draft.

I'm hoping I can complete this revision in the next couple of months, so I can get started on revising the first draft of my post Civil War romance. I haven't looked at it since I finished the draft in early September.

With two full-lengths to revise, I realize I've got my work cut out for me. For all you writers out there, what is your favorite part of working on a story? Is it the first draft, the revision or the final edit? And what part to you hate the most?

For me, I think the revision stage is my favorite, because I feel like I'm improving and enhancing my basic story.

No comments: