Thursday, February 08, 2007

Contest Woes

I just got the results of the final contest I entered last November. I didn't win or final in the first two and the scores were mixed. With this final one, I came one point from winning. One point! It was the GOTCHA Contest that was for the first 15 pages of a manuscript, no synopsis.

One of the judges gave me a perfect score. This was a first for me. And the fact that she was a published romance author made it even sweeter.

While she thought the entry was perfect, the other three all found something to nitpick about. Although, I did get fairly high scores from all of them. That's how I almost won.

Even though it would have been nice to win, I can't complain too much. It's the chance you take every time you enter a contest. Some judges will just love your work, while others may out-and-out hate it.

And, I've already entered two more contests for the new year with the revised chapters my critique group helped me with. They are great! They tell me, not only, what I need to revise, but what they like about the story and characters. And they all seem to like this story, so this gives me the confidence to keep plugging away at it.

I've entered two more contests for the new year with the revised chapters, so maybe I'll do better in the next contest. After all, I was only one point off.

And not winning won't stop me from submitting my work to publishers. You never know which editor will fall in love with your work.

No comments: