Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Fit in Body and Mind

As a writer, and in my second job as a manuscript typist, I do a lot of sitting.
I have to balance this out, not only to keep my weight under control, but more importantly, for health reasons. Diabetes runs in my family and I also have a history of cardio problems myself. Exercise is an essential part of my day.
I've also been delighted to find that my early morning workout, consisting of riding a stationary bike, stretching and lifting hand weights, totaling about an hour, helps to clear out the cobwebs in my head, stimulating my creativity.
My morning workout leaves me feeling energized in both body and mind and ready to face whatever is on my schedule for that day.
A lot of writers like to spend their early morning hours writing. I just can't get myself in gear to do that so early in the day. My most productive writing hours are in the early afternoon. That's the time I reserve for working on my current novel in progress. I work in everything else I have to do; blogging, marketing, revising, critiquing other's work and general things like housework, errands, personal correspondence and paying bills, before and after my block of writing time.
This is what works for me. But the morning workout is the most essential writing ritual of all. Without it, I don't think I'd make it through my busy day.
What do you do to boost creativity?

No comments: